I write this blog in order to track my composing habits and methods, self-reflection and all that goodness and this is a semi-important moment of reflection.
It’s been two months since my last post, which means it’s been two months since I last wrote anything. There are a few reasons why, but I don’t know if they’re any good. I’m going to indulge myself and if you’re not me and happen to be reading this, I’m asking you to indulge me too.
Reasons why I haven’t composed in two months:
- Wanted some downtime after finishing the djembe book which was a big project
- Uptick in work hours, downtick in usable free time
- Refocusing on practicing percussion
- Intimidated by my next big project, the percussion ballet
So, how will I get back to it?
- Week-long break from teaching coming up gives me a chance to work on some things
- Scheduled practice time, so my free time can be put towards composition
- Tackling a few smaller projects before the ballet
I have a few small endeavors that I’ve wanted to work on for awhile.
- a suite for pierrot ensemble
- a single-movement piece for chorus, percussion, and organ based on the Silmarillion
- a sonata for clarinet and jazz trio
I’m not overly concerned with the quality or longevity of these pieces, to be completely honest. I just want to compose to completion, and enjoy the process. I can always come back to them and redraft or edit. We’ll see how they turn out.